Wednesday, March 22, 2006

My Drum Teacher: Mike Fair AKA Faraz

I was fortunate to met Mike Fair AKA Faraz, at the local drumdance drum circle last spring. Mike stood out at the drum circle, not only because he's 6'8" (three inches taller than me) but also because of the subtle leadership that he provided in keeping the drum circle on track and he initiated some very interesting rhythms.

As we got to talking, Mike let me know that he was starting to teach lessons on a regular basis, and I was definitely eager to learn more about playing middle eastern rhythms on my Riq. Since that time, a year ago, I've learned a lot from Mike and I am much more confident in my playing style. He has taught me all of the basic rhythms, and provided me with a real appreciation for the complexity and subtlety of playing the various middle eastern drums (Riq, Tar, Dumbek). If you live in the San Francisco bay area, and you'd like to get in contact with Mike you can reach him through his bands website.

No comments: