Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Thanks Scott...

I have to admit that my obsession with the Riq started when I first heard N Scott Robinson play the solo: Shaken Not Stirred, live at a concert two years ago with Mark Holland. I was mezmerized by Scott's talent and the sheer speed and accuracy with which he played the solo. I had never heard the Riq, nor been exposed to middle eastern rhythms prior to that evening. Mark is a very talented Native American flute player, and he has collaborated with Scott of several albums.



Subsequently, I purchased my first Cooperman Riq in December 2004. What an amazing instrument! The Cooperman Riq is the 'cadillac' of drums. Mine has a fishskin head, and I've customized the zill set to include a pair of the Brass "Hadjingles" and a pair of the German silver hammered finish zills. It's not a traditional instrument anymore, but I've literally got a drum set in my hands.

No comments: